Search This Blog

Tuesday, July 19, 2011

"You wouldn't drive without a key, you can't live if you don't bleed..."

Once again......an AMAZING day. I know I use that word a lot...but sometimes words just don't cut it in attempting to describe my feelings towards something like this trip. Experiences are often something not meant to be fully understood by anyone but those that actually feel them. However, I will continue to do my best to capture the full spectrum of emotions that occur in me here.

To be perfectly honest, I did not think I would have much to write about today...even in my journal, little did I know what God had in store for me today. It was a good and busy day to begin with.....we did a lesson and crafts with the children this morning, which was hectic but VERY fun for both us and them....


































But beyond the time spent on art projects and goofing around....I had an experience this evening in las canchas that I think will forever change me. I am still trying to soak it all in and fully understand what I have just experienced merely a couple hours ago....

This young girl named Joseline, who I remember from last year's trip had tried to teach me spanish words and even wrote them in my journal while we were here, apparently enjoys my company VERY much. I recognized her instantly when we got here, and she is one that jumps at the opportunity to give me a hug when we show up. But this evening, was different for her and I. this evening was special.....and I did not even know it.

I was hanging out with some of the other girls when Joseline came running up to me saying something and grabbing my hand, pulling me away from the other children...all I remember understanding was "Muy importante!! Por favor!!" So I told the other kids "un momento!" As she pulled me across the futbol/basketball court. She took me to the side of the play area where nobody else was hanging around in, and pulled out a piece of paper. It was written in English and she explained that Brandon had helped her translate it. It appeared to be a letter written to our friend Adam from her....but I quickly realized the miscommunication between her and Brandon. This letter...had been meant for me, specifically. It expressed her love for me and how she did not forget me, even when I left the home. She specifically stated how she felt for me as a sister and how she loved me....and she asked if I would be her sponsor.

This took my breath away! The sincerity with which this little girl looked at me and after I read the letter...she began to speak. You must understand though, my Spanish is rough...to say the least. I understand broken words and phrases and I do not conjugate verbs well....AT ALL. I struggle with speaking though I understand better than I speak. However, tonight I wished more than ever that I could understand everything she had to say....

What I did understand, was she was asking me to be her "sister". To write her letters. Send her pictures....maybe even a "regalo" (gift) for Christmas....she likes bubbles and chocolates from what I understood...hahaha. She said she loved me and gave me a very sweet hug, as though she did not want to let go.

I nearly cried.

I then said in my best broken spanish "mi hermana" (my sister) as I pointed to her. She smiled, took my hand, and we sat on the steps near some of the others who were playing. She put her little arm around me and sat there speaking words that I only wish I could have fully grasped. But I understood when she said "te quiero" ....I love you.

A bit later she wanted to show me her "room", a bunk bed and area shared with the other girls in the dorm....we sat on her lower bunk and she got out her Bible and began reading me verses in Spanish...and explaining why she liked those verses...once again, I wish I could have fully grasped every word. But God gave me enough understanding for me to handle I think. Luckily, he also blessed me with a semi-decent memory...for I remember the verses and now have the opportunity to re-read them in English.... they were the first 4 verses in Psalm 23, I recognized that immediately. The next was the first 6 verses of Psalm 118. The next Psalm 117. And the last Jeremiah 3:6-10....she said something about the Pastor reading that before...It was VERY interesting.

She walked away for a moment to get something to write with and I sat on that bed trying my HARDEST not to cry...how could I explain to her why I would be crying? They were happy tears....but more amazed and touched tears too. This little Mexican girl, calling me her hermana....was sitting here reading the Bible to me in HER tongue...and talking away about it. I can not think of a more beautiful moment that I have experienced.....

~Dawn Rickerson

1 comment:

  1. This was one of the cooler moments tonight--God definitely worked powerfully here. What I thought Joseline said was to 'Adan' (Adam) but was actually 'A Dan' (to Dawn--they don't pronounce her name quite right)... I thought the letter was very touching, but when I realized later that it was for Dawn I REALLY understood how touching it was. Joseline used some very powerful language in this letter--even saying that after we left when we thought the kids had forgotten us that one would still be thinking about Dawn... It's no surprise it was so powerful--thank God! :) --Brandon

    ReplyDelete